New York, US (PANA) - The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), Luis Moreno-Ocampo on Thursday in New York renewed his call for the arrest and transfer of those alleged to have committed genocide and crimes against humanity in Sudan's Darfur region.
He said that the arrest and transfer were necessary in order to protect millions of lives in the war-torn region and ensure peace and stability.
"The execution of the arrest warrants will also end the crimes in Darfur,” Moreno-Ocampo said in his briefing to the UN Security Council.
He stated that the individuals sought by the court were still allegedly committing genocide and crimes against humanity in Darfur.
He noted that the Sudanese government has repeatedly failed to carry out the arrest warrants.
He also said that Malawi, a State party to the ICC, recently refused to arrest Sudan's President Omar Al-Bashir when he visited the country.
"The world knows where the fugitives of the court are. They are in official positions, controlling the Government of the Sudan, commanding military operations in different
parts of the Sudan."
Moreno-Ocampo also disclosed that civilians in Darfur continue to be subject to indiscriminate aerial bombardment and the Janjaweed militiamen have still not been disarmed, despite numerous injunctions by the Security Council.
He stressed the that the people of Darfur need the leadership of the Security Council.
"The arrest warrants shall be implemented. The Security Council resolutions shall be implemented. Millions of civilians in Darfur shall be protected," he added.
Since it took up the situation in Darfur in 2005, the ICC had issued arrest warrants for SudanesePresident Omar Al-Bashir for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, as well as then government minister Ahmed Harun and Janjaweed leader Ali Kushayb.
Earlier this month, the prosecutor requested an arrest warrant against Sudanese defence minister Abdelrahim Mohamed Hussein, saying there was evidence that he is one of those who bear the greatest criminal responsibility for the same crimes and incidents presented in the arrest warrants for Harun and Kushayb.
In addition, the ICC has issued summonses to appear for Abdallah Banda and Saleh Jerbo, two rebel leaders who stand accused of orchestrating the 2007 attack that resulted in the death of 12 African Union peacekeepers in the Haskanita area of Darfur.
Both men have committed to surrender voluntarily to the ICC for trial.
The Council referred the situation in Darfur to the ICC six years ago after a UN inquiry found serious violations of international human rights law in the region, where fighting had raged since 2003.
-0- PANA AA/MA15Dec2011