Zimbabwean papers criticise US attacks on Afghanistan

Harare- Zimbabwe (PANA) -- Zimbabwe's two national dailies Tuesday took issue with the US missile attacks on Afghanistan in reprisal for last month's terrorist bombings in New York and Washington without, as the papers put it, first furnishing the world with evidence implicating the suspects.
America suspects exiled and Afghan-based Saudi billionaire Osama bin Laden of masterminding the 11 September aerial attacks on the World Trade Centre and Pentagon, in which an estimated 6,000 people lost their lives.
But the Herald and Daily News insisted that Washington should have presented the world with evidence linking bin Laden with the attacks, before launching, last Sunday, retaliatory military attacks against his hideouts.
"That evidence remains privy to the American administration and their British allies," said the privately-owned Daily News, adding "it would have been far more preferable to let the whole of the world know of this evidence for an informed decision on whether or not to act in concert with the Americans.
" Along the same parallel, The Herald said it was "unfortunate" that the US chose not to share its "impressive" evidence of bin Laden's involvement but instead decided to act.
The newspaper urged the US and Britain, its coalition partner in the ongoing assault on Afghanistan, to limit their attacks to military targets and spare civilian infrastructure and casualties.
"Carpet bombing of Afghanistan .
.
.
would put the US in the same camp as those who flew planes into the World Trade Centre," it said, adding "killing civilians for ignoble motives of revenge is terrorism.
" The Herald conceded nonetheless that "the initial attacks appear to have been against legitimate targets and it also appears, from the casualty toll, that the bombing exhibited a high degree of precision.
" The paper stressed that "it is essential that future attacks follow the same course.
" It also cautioned the US against imposing a government of its choice on Kabul in the aftermath of the war, saying this would be a recipe for disaster in that country.
Meanwhile, the Zimbabwean government has refrained from commenting on the US military assault on Afghanistan.
Officials said no comment would be made until President Robert Mugabe and Foreign minister Stan Mudenge return from an Asian trip later in the week.

09 october 2001 17:16:00




xhtml CSS