WHO sensitises Congolese journalists on Ebola

Brazzaville, Congo (PANA) - A sensitisation workshop for Congolese journalists on Ebola opened on Wednesday in Brazzaville with the participation of public and private broadcasting media practitioners.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) representative in Congo, Fatoumata Binta Diallo, the workshop would provide them with the necessary tools to know how to convey information and behaviours to adopt to prevent the Ebola virus disease.

She underlined the importance of the media in the strengthening of the communication plan initiated by the government and international partners in the surveillance of the Ebola disease.

"Journalists are the right people to urge populations to work closely together with the teams deployed on the ground to investigate a possible presence of the disease in the different localities," Diallo said.

She explained that although Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where the disease has broken out, has not recorded a new case since 6 June, it was not safe to be complacent.

"We have to continue checking different villages looking for suspected cases. If the situation continues to stabilise, we could then announce the end of the disease," she added.

The national coordinator for Ebola response, Jean-Vivien Mombouli, reassured participants that so far, there is no Ebola case declared in Congo Brazzaville.

"Surveillance has been strengthened in all the localities of the corridors between DR Congo and Congo on the one hand, and between Congo and Central African Republic on the other hand," he said.

He said there are cases of cerebral malaria declared in the localities of Liranga and Mossaka, in the north of the country, but they have no link to the Ebola virus fever.
-0- PANA MB/JSG/MSA/MA 28June2018

28 Junho 2018 11:47:15




xhtml CSS