UN: WHO says number of new Ebola cases reaching record low

New York, US (PANA) - The World Health Organization (WHO) has reported that the number of new Ebola cases recorded in West Africa fell below 100 for the first time in seven months, noting that the battle against the deadly virus has shifted from slowing transmission to ending the epidemic.

A WHO in its latest update obtained by PANA in New York, late on Thursday, stated: "To achieve this goal as quickly as possible, efforts have moved from rapidly building infrastructure to ensuring that capacity for case finding, case management, safe burials, and community engagement is used as effectively as possible."

The announcement came as the UN said it was currently focusing on recovery aspects of the Ebola epidemic that affected Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone the most.

According to WHO, the response to the Ebola epidemic had now moved to a second phase, "as the focus shifts from slowing transmission to ending the epidemic".

The agency said: "For the first time since the week ending 29 June 2014, there have been fewer than 100 new confirmed cases reported in a week in the 3 most-affected countries.

"A combined total of 99 confirmed cases were reported from the 3 countries in the week to 25 January: 30 in Guinea, 4 in Liberia, and 65 in Sierra Leone."

"Case incidence continues to fall in Liberia and Sierra Leone," WHO said, but noted that Guinea reported 30 confirmed cases in the week to 25 January, up from 20 confirmed cases in the previous week.

WHO disclosed that the number of total cases reported since its outbreak in March last year was more than 22,000 with some 8,800 deaths.
-0- PANA AA/MA 30Jan2015

30 january 2015 07:03:37




xhtml CSS