UN: UN Ebola Mission reports 50 new Ebola cases in Guinea

New York, US (PANA) - The UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER) on Tuesday reported an outbreak of 50 confirmed cases in a number of villages of Kissidougou prefecture in Guinea.

UNMEER said the development had prompted the mobilization of additional ambulances as well as response experts by the Guinean National Ebola Response Cell and World Health Organization (WHO) to deal with contact tracing, social mobilization and communication, body disinfection and safe burials.

A UN statement obtained by PANA in New York, said a Rapid Isolation and Treatment of Ebola team had been flown in to follow up on reports that a 12-year-old girl with Ebola crossed the border from Guinea into Nimba county, Liberia.

UNMEER also reported that Sierra Leone was withdrawing its troops from Somalia after the African Union blocked the West African country from rotating its soldiers over fears for Ebola. Sierra Leone sent 850 troops to Somalia in 2013 for a 12-month deployment.

It noted that in the last 21 days, there had been 1,507 new cases Ebola in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone with 1,058 deaths, and most new cases were in Sierra Leone, where these figures were 1,069 cases and 667 deaths.

It also said that a UN peacekeeper from Nigeria who had contracted Ebola and evacuated to the Netherlands earlier this month had now returned to the UN Mission in Liberia (UNMIL) to resume his duties following a full recovery.

Meanwhile, the WHO's latest statistics issued on Tuesday stated that 19,431 people had been affected by Ebola with 7,565 deaths.

A Dutch navy transport vessel was scheduled to arrive in Sierra Leone on Tuesday with cargo made up of logistics assets key to the implementation of the response, such as trucks, 4x4 vehicles and ambulances, and WFP is stepping up its support to WHO in that country.
-0- PANA AA/MA 23Dec2014

23 december 2014 22:51:53




xhtml CSS