UN: Sierra Leone reports new Ebola case - WHO

New York, US (PANA) - A new case of Ebola has been confirmed in Sierra Leone,
reflecting the ongoing risk of new flare-ups of the virus in affected countries, the
World Health Organization (WHO) announced Friday, after declaring that all
known chains of transmission had been stopped in West Africa.

In a statement, obtained by PANA in New York, WHO, however, said the
Sierra Leone government acted rapidly to respond to this new case.

It said that through the country’s new emergency operations centre, a joint
team of local authorities, WHO and partners were investigating the origin of the
case, identifying contacts and initiating control measures to prevent further
transmission.

WHO had declared West Africa free of Ebola transmission on Thursday, but it
had also stressed that Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone remained at high risk
of additional small outbreaks in the coming months due to the virus persisting
in survivors after recovery.

Dr. Bruce Aylward, WHO’s Special Representative for the Ebola Response,
stated: "We are now at a critical period in the Ebola epidemic as we move from
managing cases and patients to managing the residual risk of new infections,
and we still anticipate more flare-ups and must be prepared for them."

Sierra Leone is currently in a 90-day period of enhanced surveillance following
the declaration on 7 November of the end of Ebola transmission in the country.

The period is designed to ensure no hidden chains of transmission have been
missed and to detect any new flare-ups of the disease.

Since March 2014, the Ebola epidemic has claimed the lives of more than 11,300
people and infected over 28,500.
-0-   PANA   AA/AR   15Jan2016

15 يناير 2016 19:29:48




xhtml CSS