Tension high in South Africa at state capture inquiry

Johannesburg, South Africa (PANA) – Lawyers representing former South African President Jacob Zuma’s son, Duduzane, and the Indian Gupta family, embroiled in South Africa’s State Capture scandal, on Monday made an application to cross-examine two witnesses in the high-profile inquiry in Johannesburg.

The commission of inquiry, chaired by Deputy Chief Justice, Raymond Zondo, was mandated to subpoena past and present government officials following former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s explosive report that implicated Zuma and numerous other senior politicians  in widespread graft at state-owned entities, including the South African Airways.

Zuma is accused of using his influence to secure multiple lucrative government contracts for the Gupta family as well as his own son, Duduzane, who was employed by the family’s company. Former Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas and Vytjie Mentor, a senior member of the ruling African National Congress, have both claimed that they were offered ministerial positions by the Gupta family.

The scandal blew the lid off the Zuma administration and helped sweep Cyril Ramaphosa into office on a ticket of clean governance.

Judge Zondo said that applications by legal teams representing “implicated” individuals in the inquiry will be heard on Wednesday. He said his ruling will depend on what transpires in communications between the commission’s legal team and council for Jonas and Mentor with regard to whether or not they wish to be present when the applications are heard.

Mentor last week told the inquiry she was offered the job of Public Enterprises Minister by the Guptas while Jonas said the family had offered him US$55 million if he took former Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene's job.
-0- PANA CU/VAO 3Sept2018

03 september 2018 14:44:55




xhtml CSS