Sudan: Sudanese government blames rebel movements for failure of peace talks

Khartoum, Sudan (PANA) - Sudan's delegation to peace talks with the rebels in Darfur, Nuba mountains and Blue Nile, returned home Monday blaming the rebels for the inconclusive round, but said it remains ready to resume any time the African Union invites them.

The government delegation to the peace talks in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, was headed by Presidential Assistant Ibrahim Mahmoud.

In a statement carried by the official Sudanese News Agency (SUNA), the delegation argued that they were genuinely in quest for peace but charged that the rebels wanted to repeat discussion of issues already agreed upon and wanted impossible conditions be accepted.

The rebels and opposition signed a road map, which the government signed three months ago, that would pave the way for the two sides to discuss issues of differences, without taking anew questions that have already been agreed upon in different rounds since 2011.

However, the chief negotiator, Mahmoud, argued that it was clear for his delegation the rebel movements went to Ethiopia only to sign the road map with the aim to remove the burden of international and regional pressures on them, “but not out of genuine desire for reaching peace or for implementing the road map.”

The government also said the rebels wanted to have a cessation of hostilities in military operation zones without at the same time specifying which areas fell under their control.

But the rebels denied any procrastination and on the contrary blamed the government for failing to make concession and for only seeking to locate areas under their control.

The government has also blamed the rebels for wanting relief and humanitarian assistance to civilians in rebel areas to be flown out of Sudan, namely from Kenya, Ethiopia and South Sudan, directly.

Mahmoud has re-emphasized the government commitment to end the war and to reach peace and deliver humanitarian relief assistance to the affected population.

The talks started in Addis Ababa late last week, but ended in the small hours of Monday with failure to reach an agreement on cessation of hostilities, which would have been followed by a permanent ceasefire and then humanitarian and political arrangements.
-0- PANA MO/AR15Aug2016

15 august 2016 18:41:20

xhtml CSS