South Africa: South Africa rocked by fresh race row

Cape Town, South Africa (PANA) – Another major race row is sending shockwaves around South Africa after two white men, accused of forcing a black man into a coffin and threatening to set him alight, on Wednesday abandoned their bail application, saying they fear for their lives.

Willem Oosthuizen and Theo Martins appeared in the Middelburg Magistrates’ Court on charges of kidnapping and assaulting Rethabile Mlotshwa who they accused of trespassing on their property earlier this month. A video of the assault has gone viral on the internet.

Mbuyiseni Ndlozi, the spokesman for the Economic Freedom Fighters opposition party, told supporters outside the court that white people continue to ill-treat blacks 22 years after the birth of democracy.

“Black people continue to live on their knees begging from white people because they have the land,” he said.

Democratic Alliance leader Mmusi Maimane said the suspects behaved “in a despicable manner against the South Africa we ought to build”. The case was postponed to 25 January, 2017, and the suspects remain in custody.
-0- PANA CU/VAO 16Nov2016

16 november 2016 16:01:34




xhtml CSS