South Africa: Deep divisions over resignation of SABC CEO

Cape Town, South Africa (PANA) – The fallout following Monday’s shock resignation of the acting CEO of South Africa’s national broadcaster continues to reverberate around the country with other senior staff members threatening to throw in the towel.

Jimmi Mathews sparked an outcry when he said the climate at the SABC had become too “corrosive” for him to remain in his position.

The SABC has come under enormous criticism over the past couple of weeks for refusing to cover violent protests with SABC Chief Operating Officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng saying they were damaging the credibility of the country.

Three top SABC journalists were last week suspended for objecting to a decision to not cover a protest. On Tuesday, other senior SABC journalists threatened to quit and senior managers have warned of a national strike if a meeting with Motsoeneng and the board is not held.

A crisis meeting was held at the SABC’s Johannesburg offices on Tuesday afternoon and it was announced that SABC had appointed a new acting Group Chief Executive Officer. The public broadcaster announced James Aguma would replace Matthews.

Meanwhile, Zizi Kodwa, spokesperson of the ruling African National Congress, slammed Mathew’s for resigning and said it was a ploy to create instability at the public broadcaster ahead of this year’s local election on Tuesday. "He is reckless. We condemn his conduct. His resignation is meant to create a crisis," Kodwa was quoted as saying in the media.
-0- PANA CU/MA 28June2016

28 june 2016 13:56:29




xhtml CSS