Dakar, Senegal (PANA) – The resident representative of the UN Children's fund (UNICEF) in Senegal, Mrs Geovanna Barberis, on Monday said that some 20,000 children affected by severe and acute malnutrition had been recorded in several regions of the West African country.
"The malnutrition situation is very alarming in several regions of Senegal and we need to act quickly before it gets worse," she said at a workshop in Dakar to sensitise journalists on the issues of food, nutritional and health security.
Mrs Barberis said that an investigation conducted by the Senegalese government, UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), World Food Programme (WFP) and UNICEF in the regions of Diourbel, Kédougou, Kolda, Tambacounda, Thiès, Louga, Matam and Saint-Louis showed an average prevalence of overall severe malnutrition within children from 6 to 59 months.
She said that prevalence, which varies from 6.1% in Tambacounda to 14.1% in Matam, was estimated under the alert line of 15% set by WHO.
Mrs Barberis said Senegal needed about US$4.0 million to cater for the 20,000 cases but UNICEF could raise only half of that amount.
-0- PANA DOU/AAS/MSA/MA 23April2012