Harare- Zimbabwe (PANA) -- Police in Zimbabwe said Wednesday that three locals had so far been confirmed among the 56 African migrants who have been killed in the wave of xenophobic attacks sweeping South Africa.
Police commissioner general Augustine Chihuri said the total number of Zimbabweans killed in the attacks was not yet known, and that investigations to determine this was underway.
A wave of attacks by gangs targeting African nationals is sweeping South African cities and towns, with the perpetrators blaming the foreigners for taking away their jobs, and causing price hikes for goods and services.
The attacks, which have spread to seven out of South Africa's nine provinces, have driven thousands from their homes and forced many to return to their countries.
"Three bodies of Zimbabweans have been identified and repatriation is now underway," Chihuri said.
Zimbabweans, who have flocked to South Africa in huge numbers in recent years fleeing an economic crisis at home, are thought to be among the hardest hit by the attacks.
Chihuri said scores had been injured, and were trooping back home.
The government has promised to assist in the repatriation of Zimbabweans who wanted to return home.