Lagos, Nigeria (PANA) - The Nigeria police said 15 persons have been arrested and 13 of them charged to court over last week's stoning of the convoy of President Goodluck Jonathan, when he went to northern Gombe state to campaign for next month's general election.
The local media Sunday quoted state police spokesman Ahmed Doma as saying two of the suspected were not charged to court because they are minors. They were sent to remand homes.
Apart from the attack on the President's convoy, his campaign office was vandalised by those suspected to be supporters of the opposition Congress for Progress Change (CPC).
It was the latest misfortune to dog the President's campaign.
At the inauguration of the campaign, the President's convoy was stoned in central Lafia while many died during a stampede at his campaign rally in southern Port Harcourt.
However, most of the attacks have taken place in the northern part of the country, where some politicians in the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are opposed to the President's decision to run for office, saying it was the turn of the north to produce the President in accordance with the party's rotational system.
Meanwhile, a group from the President's region, the South-South Coalition for Good Governance, has expressed outrage over what it called “the incessant stoning and pelting of President Goodluck Jonathan during his recent tours and campaign in some states of the
The group warned it would retaliate if the trend continues.
In a statement by its spokesman, Perembowei George, the group said: “This will no longer be tolerated as nobody has a monopoly of violence.”
Nigeria goes to the polls next month to elect the President, state governors as well as state and federal parliamentarians.
-0- PANA SEG 13March2011