Cape Town, South Africa (PANA) - Golf administrators in South Africa Tuesday announced the launch of the Nelson Mandela Championship, a new professional golf tournament co-sanctioned by the European Tour.
The 1-million-euro event will be the first event on the 2013 European Tour International Schedule.
The field of 156 professionals will be made up of equal numbers of participants from both the South African and European Tours, and will feature some of the world’s top golfers.
Acting Chief Executive Officer of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, Moipone Buda-Ramatlo said the event would give his organisation a worldwide platform through live television coverage to highlight its support of the neediest children throughout South Africa.
The first Nelson Mandela Championship will take place 6-9 December 2012 either in Durban or Nelson Mandela Bay.
South Africa has become a major force in international golf and eight South Africans have now won Major championships – more than any country outside the US and UK.
The most recent winner was Ernie Els, who won the 141st British Open at Royal Lytham in July.
In his acceptance speech, Els paid a glowing tribute to world statesman Nelson Mandela.
Acknowledging that he had been part of a generation of millions of South Africans who had grown up in the apartheid era, and then endured the painful transition to democracy, Els said: “I just felt he's been so important for us being where we are today as a nation and as sports people.”
-0- PANA CU/SEG 28Aug2012