Mali: Mali govt. says it will not be swayed by FIFA ban

Bamako, Mali (PANA) - Vowing that it will not be perturbed by the FIFA ban, the Malian Minister of Sport, Housseïni Amion Guindo, says he is bent on reforming the Malian national football, adding "We will not be swayed by the suspension."

FIFA blocked Mali from international football on Friday after Guindo sacked the executive committee, following allegations of fraud during a leadership election last year. He then appointed a provisional committee and ordered the election of a new executive committee within one year.

The decision means the West African country, ranked 61 by FIFA, cannot play international matches, including World Cup qualifiers, until the dispute is resolved to FIFA's satisfaction.

At the weekend, the ban affected its clubs in 2017 CAF Confederation club, Djoliba FC and Onze Createurs, which forfeited their second-leg, first-round matches and were effectively disqualified.

In a press interview in Bamako on Sunday, Minister Guindo said: "We are a sovereign state, which cannot accept to be dragged around by a sporting body, however, powerful it is .... Mali also has the right to enforce the rules in its country."

Guindo said the government respected international conventions and was appealing the decision, but its main priority was to find credible people to run its federation.

"We understood that FIFA will not be the solution to this crisis and so as an act of sovereignty we decided to dissolve the governing body of the Malian Football Federation," he said.

FIFA says its member football associations must be able to manage their affairs independently without government interference.

The rule means governments are powerless to intervene in their country's football federations even when they suspect mismanagement or corruption, despite being their major financiers.
-0- PANA VAO/MA 20March2017

20 march 2017 09:39:53




xhtml CSS