Tripoli, Libya (PANA) – The head of the Libyan interim government, Abdelrahim Al-Kib, has said the acts perpetrated against the building housing the council of ministers by those he described as "vandals" were illegal and flagrant violation of the government's integrity.
In a statement made public on Tuesday evening, he said they were responsible for the bloodshed while the government was defending itself.
He said the building accommodating the council of ministers had been attacked by an illegal group while security officers at the Interior ministry used all peaceful means before receiving orders to resort to force only after the attackers had opened fire with heavy weapons and entered the building with arms and injured one of the security officers at the Interior ministry.
Mr Al-Kib called on all Libyans to make of the burial of the dead a peaceful demonstration involving citizens and civil society organizations.
He also called on scholars, sheiks, among others, to back legality and end the phenomenon of the movement of arms in Libya.
The Libyan PM said that true revolutionaries would never endanger the country and the future of its riches adding that such acts only served the enemies of the revolution.
He said that the Interior ministry had arrested several attackers and action would be taken against them.
Mr Al-Kib paid tribute to the Interior minister and the security forces in Tripoli, as well as the intervention and support units for their professionalism that eased tension.
He said that the instigators of the cowardly attack did not represent the regions they claimed to be from and hailed the true revolutionaries, scholars and local councilors who condemned the attack.
-0- PANA BY/AAS/IBA/MSA/MA 9May2012