Khartoum govt to sign ceasefire with Darfur rebels

Khartoum- Sudan (PANA) -- A Khartoum government delegation left for Chad Wednesday to sign a ceasefire agreed in earlier talks with rebels in Darfur, State House sources said here.
The delegation is headed by Presidential Affairs Minister Al- Tayeb Ibrahim Mohammed Khair, who took part in talks last weekend with the rebels, according to official sources.
The trip to Chad "comes in the context of incessant efforts by the government to extinguish the flames of sedition in Darfur, now that signs for a settlement to the Darfur problem have begun to appear on the horizon," the state-owned Al-Anbaa newspaper said.
Earlier Tuesday, the rebel Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM) in Darfur said they had agreed in principle to a ceasefire with the government during indirect talks over the weekend in Chad to end months of sporadic clashes with government forces in the western Darfur region.
The talks, held in Abeche, 300 km from the Sudanese border, were mediated by Chadian President Idriss Deby and other officials.
A press report said Wednesday that a total of 81 people had been killed in recent attacks by Arab militiamen on villages in the east Jebel Marrah district in Southern Darfur State.
The independent Al-Ayam daily, quoting South Darfur MP Farah Mustafa Abdullah, said the attacks carried out last Monday by armed militia known as the Jenjaweed, also displaced some 2,700 people.
Abdullah said a joint army-police force was chasing down the militiamen.
The SLM accuses the Khartoum government of arming the Jenjaweed and other militias to attack non-Arab tribes in the Darfur provinces.

03 september 2003 18:44:00




xhtml CSS