Khartoum- Sudan (PANA) -- The Sudanese government has furnished the UN Security Council with a plan outlining measures to restore security and stability in the restive western region of Darfur, official sources affirmed here Saturday.
The Security Council last 31 July served Khartoum 30 days notice to disarm the pro-government Janjaweed militias widely blamed for most of the atrocities in Darfur.
A roadmap mooted by the UN, which includes setting up safe areas for the return of displaced people in Darfur was accepted by Khartoum.
The plan, drawn up last week by the UN special envoy to Sudan, Jan Pronk and Sudan's Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman Ismail requires the government to secure specific villages and camps and to set up safe access routes and escorted convoys.
"Sudan's permanent delegate [to the UN] in New York has delivered the message to the Security Council chairman prior to distributing it among member countries," Ismail said in a press statement.
Mustafa said Khartoum had begun implementing the plan by raising the number of policemen deployed in Darfur and extending the security radius 20 km outside camps for the displaced, towns and villages.
Meanwhile, the African Union has indicated it may transform a planned protection force into a full-fledged peacekeeping mission to force the Janjaweed to lay down their arms.
The pan-African body already has 150 Rwandan soldiers in the region and plans to send 150 Nigerian troops to Darfur to protect its team of observers and monitors overseeing a shaky ceasefire there.
Last Thursday, the Nigerian Senate approved the deployment of 1,500 troops to Darfur.