Nairobi, Kenya (PANA) - Kenya's Anti-Terrorism Police have launched an investigation into Sunday night's terrorist attack in Mombasa, which killed one person and left 26 people wounded.
Investigators said three grenade blasts and heavy shooting occurred at the scene of the attack.
Police arrested one suspect after the grenade attack, saying he was one those wounded.
Provincial Police Chief Aggrey Adoli said there was heavy shooting at the scene of the attack, at a place called Mishimoroni, and that an investigation had been launched to determine the explosives used.
“We know there was heavy shooting at the scene. We are waiting for an expert analysis to be carried out,” Adoli said Monday.
Earlier, the police in Mombasa discovered chemicals used to manufacture plastic bombs.
Two Iranian citizens had been seized in connection with the dangerous explosives, while dangerous chemical was also found at a Nairobi slum on Saturday.
The grenades went off at a bar in the resort city hours after the US issued a terrorist alert for Mombasa for US citizens, and earning the anger of the Kenyan government.
Acting head of the civil service and cabinet chief Francis Kimemia said Nairobi had sent a protest note to the US government for allegedly interfering with Kenya by issuing travel bans.
“We have issued a protest note. This advisory was uncalled for. It was malicious. Kenya is a sovereign state and must be consulted before such a decision is taken. This is economic sabotage,” Kimemia said.
Kenyan officials said the issuance of a travel ban on Mombasa as akin to economic sanctions on a country whose economy is largely dependent on the tourism sector.
Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka regretted the issuance of a travel advisory for American citizens in Mombasa, saying it led to immediate cancellation of hotel bookings.
Tourism Minister David Mwanzo, said the US government overreacted after receiving Kenya’s security update upon the arrest of the two Iranian nationals.
-0- PANA AO/SEG 25June2012