Health: Sierra Leone records Ebola death hours after WHO declares West Africa epidemic over

Freetown, Sierra Leone (PANA) - Sierra Leone on Thursday said that one person had died from Ebola shortly after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared that the outbreak of the epidemic in West Africa was over.

Officials said two tests conducted on the victim, who died this week, in the north of the country turned positive.

The UN World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday declared the end of the most recent outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Liberia and said all known chains of transmission had been stopped in West Africa.

However, WHO stressed that the job was not over, as more flare-ups were expected and that strong surveillance and response systems would be critical in the months to come.

Thursday's announcement said for the first time since the outbreak in December 2014, all 3 countries were at zero

Sierra Leone was declared free of Ebola transmission on 7 November 2015 and Guinea on 29 December.

WHO also cautioned that the 3 countries remained at high risk of additional small outbreaks of Ebola, like the most recent one in Liberia.
-0- PANA MA 15Jan2016

15 janvier 2016 06:03:38




xhtml CSS