Ghana: Commissioning of oil ship, death of illegal miners, contaminated fuel played up in Ghana

Accra, Ghana (PANA) – The media in Ghana this week highlighted the commissioning of an oil ship, the death last Sunday of 22 illegal miners in a pit and the raging contaminated fuel saga.

'Govt concentrating efforts on onshore oil discoveries – Akufo-Addo', was the headline of the state-owned Graphic newspaper when president Nana Akufo-Addo on Thursday turned on the valves on the “FPSO John Agyekum Kufuor” to signal the formal production of oil in commercial quantities from the Sankofa oil and gas fields in western Ghna.

The newspaper said the president reiterated the commitment of his government to the exploration and discovery of oil in commercial quantities onshore, specifically in the Voltaian Basin.

President stated that the commitment of the national oil company, Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC), to find oil and gas in the Voltaian Basin, is reassuring, and he was delighted about this bold step.

With the oil industry increasingly becoming an important contributor to the country’s economy, President Akufo-Addo indicated that the efficient management of petroleum resources and its associated revenues is a national priority.

The pro-government Daily Guide newspaper had the headline 'Nana Pours Oil From Kufuor Ship'.

The story said President Akufo-Addo on Thursday turned the valves of the newly acquired Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel named after former President John Agyekum Kufuor, at the Sankofa Oil and Gas Fields, Offshore Cape Three Points (OCTP) in the Western Region to commence the production of more crude oil and natural gas.

With that, he believes a new dawn beckons that would possibly lead to a significant reduction in electricity tariffs to stimulate development.

“With the addition of the production from the OCTP to those of the Tweneboa, Enyenra, Ntomme (TEN) and Jubilee fields, we are optimistic that our beloved nation will enhance significantly its gas supply for our domestic power generation,” he said.

'BNI Clears BOST Over Dirty Oil Deal', was the headline of the Daily Guide on the raging sale of 5 million litres of contaminated fuel by the Bulk Oil Storage and Transportation (BOST) Company.

The story said Minister for Energy Boakye Agyarko has ruled out any wrongdoing in the recent sale of the contaminated fuel saying the company never erred in transacting that business with the energy firm, Movenpiina.

According to Mr Agyarko, investigations so far conducted by the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), the National Security and the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) on the contaminated product had established that the fuel had not spilled onto the retail market for sale to vehicle drivers.

He told a press conference organized by the Ministry of Energy in Accra that “on the basis of previous practice, there was no wrongdoing at the Bulk Oil Storage

08 juillet 2017 06:03:51




xhtml CSS