Four killed in Nairobi grenade blast

Nairobi, Kenya (PANA) - Four people were killed after a series of four explosions hit a busy bus park in Nairobi, injuring 30 people, 12 of them critically, witnesses and the police confirmed to PANA on Saturday.

Witnesses said four grenade explosions went off within an area of 100 metres of the Machakos bus terminus, usually crowded and the attackers fled towards a city estate, evading the police while witness accounts of the attackers' get away car was hazy.

“We are deeply concerned about what has happened. We have three people dead and 21 people injured,” Deputy Police Spokesman Charles Owino said from the scene of the attacks, which was cordoned off.

Police said they would pursue the attackers and would likely make arrests as before.

The latest attacks took a similar approach to those that took place at a separate bus stop, used by city commuters, which killed at least two people. Another grenade attack took place at a private nightclub in the city the same day.

Police said the attackers easily escaped under the cover of darkness and were aided by low traffic on the roads on a Saturday evening.

The scene of the explosion was filled with pools of blood and some victims may have suffered blunt injuries from the explosions. Several people suffered head injuries while a fourth victim succumbed to the injuries while being rushed to hospital.

Despite a 10-day nurses strike, those rushed to the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) received treatment for their wounds.

The Kenya Red Cross also appealed to several people who suffered wounds to report to hospital or at the counseling centre at the scene of the attack.

The attack took place a day after the Kenyan troops signed a deal with the African Union (AU) to contribute troops to its Mission in Somalia (AMISOM).

Kenyan troops, who crossed the border in pursuit of the Al Shabaab militia in Southern Somalia on 16 October, 2011, intensified their attacks against the militants on Saturday, killing at least six of the group’s fighters in Aglibax, near Afmadhow.

Police in Nairobi said there was no doubt the Al Shabaab carried out the latest terror strike in Nairobi and vowed security would be bolstered.

“We have been attacked before without getting into Somalia in pursuit. We will ensure that security is provided. We will catch up with you (Al Shabaab). We do not need anybody to claim responsibility. We are not relenting,” Owino said.
-0- PANA AO/VAO 10March2012

10 march 2012 22:09:16

xhtml CSS