Fighting in Darfur claims 40 civilians

New York- US (PANA) -- More than 40 civilians have been killed in south Darfur as fighting in the Sudanese region has escalated in recent time, Human Rights Watc h says.
"A sudden increase in regional violence between pro-government Arab forces and r ebels has wreaked havoc on the region's civilian population,'' the international rights group said in a statement made available to the Pan African News Agency ( P ANA) here Saturday.
It also said: "In addition to the more than 40 civilian deaths attributed to the increased clashes, thousands of other civilians have been forced to flee their h omes for their safety.
"Once again, civilians are bearing the brunt of fighting in Darfur,'' Human Righ ts Watch's African director, Georgette Gagnon, said of the violent outbreak in t h e region's Muhajiriya area.
A UN report stated that the ongoing conflict in Darfur, which began in 2003 had already claimed the lives of nearly 300,000 people, while more than two million h ave been displaced.
PANA reports that the UN said it was working to boost the number of troops in th e region in a move to quell the violence.
The UN-AU Mission in Darfur (UNAMID), with capacity for 26,000 troops, police an d civilian personnel has about 10,000 peacekeepers in the region.

25 october 2008 18:35:00




xhtml CSS