Ebola death toll rises to 69 in northwestern Congo

Brazzaville- Congo (PANA) -- The Ebola epidemic, rife in Congo's north-west Kelle and Mbomo Districts, has killed 69 people, the country's Health and Population Ministry confirmed.
Previously, the ministry said that 67 people had died from the highly contagious viral disease, which has been decimating the population since mid-January in the two districts, more than 700 km north of Brazzaville, the Congolese capital.
Kelle has been the most hit, with 63 deaths on the 75 cases recorded so far.
Three new cases were reported Thursday, according to a department responsible for fighting the disease in the ministry, which receives through radio the data of the epidemiological situation from the remote area.
Congolese Health and Population Minister Alain Moka said that the victims had direct contact with the first patients or touched the victims' bodies.
The people who fell sick from the incurable virus reportedly ate meat of gorillas found dead in the forests of the region.

21 february 2003 22:12:00




xhtml CSS