Darfur rebels accuse Khartoum of continuing attacks

  Khartoum- Sudan (PANA) -- Rebels in the western Sudan region of Darfur Friday accused Sudanese authorities of continuing to attack their bases just 24 hours before a six-week cease-fire was due to come into force.
"Warplanes belonging to government forces carried out raids on our positions and our villages on Thursday," Mani Arkoi Minaoui, general secretary of the Sudan Liberation Movement (SLM) told the media.
He said there had been no casualties.
Minaoui also alleged that government forces and allied militia had attacked a village in northern Darfur, but met resistance from the rebels.
The Sudanese government and the SLM rebels signed a six-week cease-fire on Wednesday in Chad, which will come into effect on Saturday.
Several hundred people have died in clashes between the two sides in the semi-desert region bordering Chad in recent months.
The cease-fire agreement was the result of separate negotiations with Chadian President Idriss Deby acting as mediator between the two sides.
The SLM is not included in the framework of peace talks aimed at ending Khartoum's 20-year-old civil war with the southern rebel Sudan People's Liberation Army.

05 september 2003 20:37:00




xhtml CSS