CECAFA withdraws Zambia’s invitation to Senior Challenge Cup tourney

Lusaka, Zambia (PANA) - Council of East and Central Africa Football Association (CECAFA) has withdrawn Zambia’s Chipolopolo team’s invitation to this year’s CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup following CAF instructions that teams that qualified to the 2012 Africa Cup tournament are ineligible to participate.

CECAFA had earlier invited guest team Zambia to the tournament, scheduled for Tanzania from 24 November – 12 December.

In a letter to the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ), CECAFA General Secretary Nicholas Musonye said he received a letter from CAF informing them that they could not invite teams that have qualified to Africa Cup, the independent Post newspaper reported Saturday.

Musonya said it was regrettable that CECAFA withdrew their invitation to Chipolopolo to take part as guest team at this year’s edition of the tournament.

“We have just received a letter from CAF informing us that according to CAF regulations, we cannot invite teams that have qualified to CAN to participate in CECAFA competition, more particularly after the CAN draws have been done,” Musonye said.

“This means we cannot invite you as we had planned. Sorry for this sad information.”

On Wednesday, Chipolopolo coach Herve Renard announced a 23-member team of mostly home-based players for the CECAFA tournament. The team was due to enter camp Sunday in Lusaka.
-0- PANA MM/BOS 5Nov2011

05 november 2011 08:51:26




xhtml CSS