Botswana: Aviation records low 4th quarter movements in 2016

Botswana, Gaborone (PANA) – Botswana air passenger movement slowed down during the last quarter of 2016, the country’s data authority has said.

This is despite government efforts to lure more tourists to the country, to help diversify the economy from diamonds being the mainstay.

Statistics Botswana’s (SB) latest figures released on Monday indicated that a total of 195,475 passenger movements were recorded in the last quarter of the year, which was a decrease of 9.4 percent from 215,668 passenger movements in the third quarter of 2016.

“Of these movements, 59.5 percent were international and the remaining 40.5 percent were domestic,” said Anna Majelantle, the Botswana Statistician General.

She said both international and domestic passenger movements recorded a decrease in the number of passenger movements in comparison with the previous quarter.

“International passenger movements decreased by 4.6 percent while domestic passenger movements decreased by 15.5 percent.”

Majelantle said in comparison with the same quarter of the previous year, air passenger movements increased by 6.3 percent from 183,940 to 195,475 passenger movement.

Meanwhile Majelantle said despite the fact that non-scheduled aircraft movements are higher, more passengers are found in the scheduled movements.

“Scheduled passenger movements contributed 77.1 percent of the total air passenger movements. Non-scheduled and private air passenger movements contributed to 21.8 and 1.0 percent respectively.”
-0- PANA DRW/VAO 24April2017

24 avril 2017 12:33:41

xhtml CSS