Lagos, Nigeria (PANA) - The Government of Yobe State in Nigeria's north-east Tuesday imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state capital, Damaturu, following an extended gun and bomb attacks on the city starting from 5pm Monday.
Mr. Abdullai Bego, the Special Assistant on Information to Yobe Governor Ibrahim Geidam, said in a statement that the curfew was necessitated by the continuing violence.
Mr. Bego said movement in other parts of the state have been restricted, while the 10pm to 6am curfew imposed on Potiskum, which was attacked last month, remained in place.
The local media reported that over 100 suspected Boko Haram members invaded the town, firing sporadically and detonating explosives.
The report said that at least one policeman and one soldier were killed in Monday's attack on Damaturu, while four persons were injured.
The police have yet to give the total casualty figure from the attack.
Yobe state police commissioner Moses Onireti told journalists in Damaturu Tuesday that the security agencies have started searching the state capital for bodies as well as those who may have been injured.
''The security agencies will go round the city to ascertain casualty rate and pick up bodies of those felled in the attack,'' he said, blaming the Islamic sect Boko Haram for the attack, the third major attack on the state in recent times.
Monday's attack came two days after suicide bombers attacked three churches in two cities in northern Kaduna state,killing over 70 people, according to the latest estimates published by local newspapers Tuesday. The police said only 16 died.
Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the Kaduna attacks, saying it was to avenge the killing of Muslims and vowing more attacks.
The Kaduna attacks triggered a reprisal by Christian youths, which left at least 11 people dead.
Meanwhile, the Kaduna state government on Tuesday reinstated the 24-hour curfew it imposed on the state following Sunday's attack.
The government said in a statement that the decision to reinstate the curfew followed ''skirmishes'' by the youths, in an apparent reference to continuing reprisal attacks by Christian youths. The government had earlier relaxed the curfew.
Since launching its violent campaign in 2009, Boko Haram has killed over 1,200 people in gun and bomb attacks, according to the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Oluseyi Petinrin.
-0- PANA SEG 19June2012